Silke chicks grew up to be......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sklingonz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. sklingonz

sklingonz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2007
    Kaysville, UT
    all roosters! What luck. All of the four chicks I got in the fall are male. Oh well. I have already sent three to a farm up north. Lets see how long I can keep one rooster.

Hopefully, my batch of frizzle chicks will be all female.[​IMG] They come in next week. I can't wait. I will post pictures once I get them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Where did you get your chicks from?

3. sklingonz

sklingonz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2007
    Kaysville, UT
    The silkies I got from someone who put in a large order for silkie chicks. My frizzle chicks are coming from the farm supply store.

4. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    That's the luck I have also.

5. lisabug

lisabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Portersville, PA
    We had a LOT of problems getting roosters last year when we wanted hens. Out of 32 chicks 2 were female and they were "straight run". The 2 ducks we got both were male (one died suddenly so I got the other fully grown girls).

The ones I have had the best luck with are the ones I got as eggs from a seller here we had 3 males and 7 females (2 passed away via a cat) from that hatch. The males still live together because they are frizzles/silkies and don't seem to fight.It seems to be a happy mix!

This year we got PULLET ordered from our farm store and are hatching our own "mutt" eggs as well- so we are hoping for a better amount of girls this time (and a few roos for meat I have all the "pet" roos hubby will allow)

6. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I'm not liking these odds! We have some silkies coming in for 4-H and I'm really hoping that we have at least two hens!

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    [​IMG] I hate it when that happens. I have a group of speckled sussex chicks right now that I'm [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by