Silke chicks grew up to be......

sklingonz

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 7, 2007
Kaysville, UT
all roosters! What luck. All of the four chicks I got in the fall are male. Oh well. I have already sent three to a farm up north. Lets see how long I can keep one rooster.

Hopefully, my batch of frizzle chicks will be all female.
They come in next week. I can't wait. I will post pictures once I get them.

Last edited:

sklingonz

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 7, 2007
Kaysville, UT
The silkies I got from someone who put in a large order for silkie chicks. My frizzle chicks are coming from the farm supply store.

lisabug

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Portersville, PA
We had a LOT of problems getting roosters last year when we wanted hens. Out of 32 chicks 2 were female and they were "straight run". The 2 ducks we got both were male (one died suddenly so I got the other fully grown girls).

The ones I have had the best luck with are the ones I got as eggs from a seller here we had 3 males and 7 females (2 passed away via a cat) from that hatch. The males still live together because they are frizzles/silkies and don't seem to fight.It seems to be a happy mix!

This year we got PULLET ordered from our farm store and are hatching our own "mutt" eggs as well- so we are hoping for a better amount of girls this time (and a few roos for meat I have all the "pet" roos hubby will allow)

scarter

Songster
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Roberts, WI
I'm not liking these odds! We have some silkies coming in for 4-H and I'm really hoping that we have at least two hens!

Top Bottom