Silke Dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken George, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Chicken George

Chicken George Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Hi guys, about an hour ago I went to check on a couple of my birds and saw that my silkie rooster was lying on his side and was barely breathing. I removed him and his hen from the main enclosure. I then tried to water the rooster with a dropper full of sugar water and he started to make gurgling noises and spit up what I had given him. I'm not sure what's wrong with him or what I can do to relieve any pain he's in if he's in any at all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. I almost forgot to mention that I moved him away from the flock and put him in a brooder.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. Chicken George

Feb 25, 2012
    Update: I just checked on him and he died. If any body knows of what could have killed him can you help me out with this?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm solo sorry for your loss! if he was making gurgling noises perhaps it was respiratory.

4. Chicken George

Feb 25, 2012
    I think it might have been but his hen's been breathing well. Is there anyway for me to tell what kind of infection/disease it may have been?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There are many possibilities and unfortunately there is no way to tell exactly what killed him without having a necropsy done. If it had been a respiratory disease you most likely would have seen some symptoms earlier on rather then a sudden onset and quick death.

6. Chicken George

Feb 25, 2012
    He stopped crowing a week ago but he seemed healthy otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by