1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silke Hen-Somethings wrong-NEW PICS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TundraChick, Sep 28, 2007.

1. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    My Silke hen is on her nest and has been for hours. I went out to check and she didn't even look up at me. She is all fluffed up and I can find anything wrong. She "cries" in discomfort if I try to pick her up. She has been fine. Eating fine, poop is fine. She may be straining as I notice her vent pushes out. I haven't noticed a decrease in eggs and don't feel anything in her abdomen. Maybe she is egg bound. What are the symptoms for that...otherwise I dont know

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    Is she broody?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think your hen has a terrible disease, it's called being broody.

Ok, it's not a disease. It's all hormonal. Sounds exactally like what a broody does.

4. TundraChick

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Do they puff up when they are broody??

5. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Yup- she's a-broody. All the classic symptoms. [​IMG]

6. TundraChick

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    phew! Is that all! Geeze it looks scarry!

7. TundraChick

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    So if she is broody and I remove her from the nest, shouldn't she go back to the nest? She just sits wherever I put her down.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not always. My broody Buff Orp would just sit when I took her off the nest and put her down outside. She'd stay like that for a few minutes then get up and scream like a banshee and pick a fight with someone.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They turn into a fluffed up screaming pancake...Silkies have a tendency to go broody at a predetermined, by them anyways, time...

10. TundraChick

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Thanks everyone, I only have two hens laying now I won't have enough eggs for my breakfast! The others won't lay till spring...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by