Silke ROO or hen...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pamperedpoultry, May 13, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I know you cant tell from the pic, but at what age can you start to tell the difference between the hens and roos..

But aint it cute!! This is my first silkie

[​IMG]

Heres my second...Also is this what you get when you mix blues and partridge??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got my first silkies too, and I'm LOVING them! They are the cutest babies! I've got a partridge-looking one like yours, and I think it's a blue partridge. I think it came from crossing a blue with a white that had partridge in its genetic background.

No guess on the gender, but they're pretty babies. Lucky you!

3. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Cuties! Need a lil more time for gender checking.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

White looks like a pullet.

The partridge looks maybe like a hen.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:May I ask why you differentiated in pullet and hen? I know a pullet is a female under a yr and a hen is laying age or over a year right? AM I confused again? [​IMG] wouldn't be the first time [​IMG]

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:May I ask why you differentiated in pullet and hen? I know a pullet is a female under a yr and a hen is laying age or over a year right? AM I confused again? [​IMG] wouldn't be the first time [​IMG]

No, you're not confused. I think that was a typo, with the pullet and hen thing...

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

No, you're not confused. I think that was a typo, with the pullet and hen thing...

sorry, lol. [​IMG] I have big headache right now and I am getting confused.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    phew.. Now I know almost 1 yr into the chicken world and I'm still a newbie but that threw me hahaha-thanks for clarifying!! [​IMG]

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    both look like girls to me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by