Silke, standing one leg, trembles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fundychic, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Fundychic

Fundychic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    Fundy Shore, NS
    I have a Silke that is standing on one leg a lot and she seems to always be trembling. This has been going on for a few months, the other Silke's don't behave this way. She's a loner, too... doesn't hang out with the others much and they tend to pick on her. When I got her this summer she was also very sick, with I don't know what, but I got her back to health. Does any know what might be going on with her? I've looked in all my books.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Just a guess, but have you checked her foot for bumblefoot?

Good luck,

Imp

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    what are you feeding her? i ask because silkies tend to get vitamin deficiencies, so i give mine vitamins in the water

4. Fundychic

Fundychic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    Fundy Shore, NS
    I don't think she has bumble foot, but I'll check again. I know one of my other ones have and I continue to treat and maintain her feet.

The chicks get fruit, herbs and veggie scrapes, layer mash, and about once a week I make a mash of oats, millet, quinoa, herbs, garlic, olive oil, molasses - its a healthy boost mix. When I'm home and it's not raining they get to run around the yard. But now that winter is coming I have considered to start adding vitamins in there water.

Thanks for your responses. [​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    if she were mine, i'd move her inside for observation, particularly with winter coming on- that way you can really monitor her- also gently feel the hip and leg joints and see if you feel anything abnormal- since she is eating well= awesome diet! my guess would be a leg injury of some sort-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by