1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silked Easter Egger Roo??? *Pics Added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My sister went to the auction today and...like always... brought home a ROOSTER. I must admit, he is quite pretty though so I wasn't too irritated, she's just lucky that i just finished moving all the chickens into their new coop last week!!

The only thing i could think he might be was a Silked EE of sorts, but i am probably wrong, lol.

Here's a little about him:
    Standard Sized
    6 months old-ish (VERY small spur nubbs)
    Big, single comb
    Beard, cheeks, tiny crest
    TOTALLY Clean legs
    Cotton ball Cochin butt(tail feathers)
    silvery cuckoo-ish, strange coloring

He's pretty friendly too but Silkies & EE's are both sweet birds. He has the prettiest feathers! they look just like Fur! dark underneath with lighter colored tips, very neat looking!! It's been pouring since she brought him home so I haven't gotten a picture of him. I will try to get a few good ones tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, we all know now that there are silkied, "Ameraucanas" so lets see the pic!

3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Most EE have pea combs, and silkies have walnut combs. The odds of getting a single comb out of the mix is possible, but not likely. Picutres would help out.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I am going to get a picture of him as soon as i get home, even if i have to bring him inside!... this Washington weather really sucks sometimes >.<

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Okay, I have finally updated the first post with pictures! It has been mayhem here today, my mother had to bring her chickens she wants to sell out to me too today [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't see any EE in there, honestly. [​IMG]

Certainly has a lot of Silkie though. (dark comb, dark skin, comb isn't pure single genes, bird has 5 toes, silkied feathers, etc. )

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Oh he's so pretty! I would guess half or even 1/4 barred rock? No question he is definitely part silky!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

He sorta looks like a Faverolles.

9. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    What a handsome guy! [​IMG]

10. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I Thought the "silky" gene was recessive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by