Silkes/reds/sussex mix

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenshoe, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    We have 10 girls..no roosters, a sussex went broody bad in june..30 days later still same, so we get some week old chicks..2 reds 3 silkies, and 3 fertilzed eggs, due to hatch 23rd july..we stick eggs under her..end of July she hatches em..we now have 5 reds, 3 silkies, they are bout week apart max..put all birds together hopping sussex will take for em..she rejected the Silkies kept the reds..we've got silkies in the run with reds, separated. Reds now 6-7 weeks old free ranging w sussex mom, silkies get attacked by mom..what shall we do?, we'd like to put all kids together and separate them from mom sussex...they'd all get along fine..mom is problem. We can isolate mom if we chose to..suggestions? Main flock pays little attention to whole crew..

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 6 weeks, you can wean the chicks from the mom. I don't know what your set up is like, but I'd pull momma from the littles and put the silkies in. Let them all get comfortable with each other for a week or so, then let momma back in and see what happens.

3. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by