Silkes with large fowl

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello I am gettin some silkies soon and I haven't even built the breeding pen yet and I was wondering has anyone ever kept them with large fowl and how and I would also maybe like to keep them with the large fowl in the winter so they have more body heat because it can get pretty cold here and I will also put in a heat lamp to provide extra heat for them so they do die because I know they ain't that cold hardy so anyways thanks all replies are welcome

I keep mine separate from my LF. The bantams have their own run and coop. I have never needed heat for them to make it through a winter, I am north of your location, and that includes the past 2 harsh winters.

Last edited:
Well it gets down in the teens and sometimes colder than that and I didn't know if they would need it but I add it anyways she it gets colder like that but i just didn't know how to be able to keep them with my large fowl

It hardly gets above freezing (32 degrees) here in winter and I've never had to add heat to my coop.

I have silkies with my large fowl with no problems. I have bantams that fit in the palm of your hand up all the way up to large fowl, including guineas and turkeys, all together in a large pen. Just make sure you have enough space that they can move away from the larger birds if they want/need.

Ok thanks would a 4x8 coop be big enough with 8 large fowl and a run that's over 30 feet long by 11 feet wide and plus I let them free range so would that be big enough

Back
Top Bottom