Silkie’s right leg seems lifeless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StellaBee, Feb 13, 2019.

1. StellaBee

StellaBee In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2019
    my almost 2 year old Silkie Pecky, was out all day in the rain about 7 days ago, eating bugs and worms, she loves the rain. We found her laying in a puddle of water around 4:30 pm, we brought her in because she appeared to be suffering from hypothermia, I dried her with a blow dryer and kept her wrapped in a towel for a while, she was lifeless, I gave her some vitamin drops and used a syringe to give her water every 20 mins or so. Put her in a cage for the night, by this time she was starting to have labored breathing, she may have been in shock, she survived the night and started eating and drinking on her own, she is still eating and drinking fine, she looks great, but she still hasn’t started walking, I’ve had birds get puny and not be able to walk for a few days, but I nurse them back to health and they thrive. She can waddle around her cage to her food and water, but I noticed her right foot dragging, so I took her out and gave her the old looksy and her right foot and leg is totally lifeless, she can’t move any part of it, her left leg is fine and can grip and she can move it, her wings work fine, it’s just her right leg. No sign of injury, so I’m puzzled, I’m still kinda new to all this as she is part of my starter chickens. Any advice.

microchick likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be that the stress of the situation caused her to succumb to Marek's - which is endemic worldwide.

3. PollyGirl21

PollyGirl21 Crowing

Apr 15, 2018
    Massachusetts
    microchick likes this.
  4. Could be Marek’s Disease.

microchick likes this.
  5. StellaBee

StellaBee In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2019
    I hope it’s not Mareks, my mom wondered if lightning may have hit near her since it was storming a lot that day.

microchick likes this.
  6. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I have never had a case of Marek’s (God is good) the first thing that came to my mind was a broken leg since the other leg functions fine. I would think Mareks would somehow involve both legs. If it’s the whole leg the injury or break would be high up. Can you wrap her and have someone hold her while you manipulate the leg? See if there is some kind of dislocation (that could be popped back in) or a break you can feel?

microchick likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @StellaBee :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about Pecky.
    Can you post some photos of her?
    If you have video, that would be good to - upload it to youtube, then provide us a link.

Marek's does come to mind with the symptoms you describe. Unfortunately, there is no cure. The best you can do sometimes is offer supportive care.
    It's good that she is able to eat/drink on her own.
    I would offer her poultry vitamins - if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give her 1cc per 3 pounds of weight daily for a week. In addition to those I would also give her 1/4 tablet human B-Complex vitamins for a week.
    I would also add a little extra protein to her diet (egg, fish or meat).

Some people make a chicken sling for their birds that have Marek's or injuries. She would need to be monitored and taken out to give her a break. This allows the bird to be upright, stay cleaner and work the good leg without stressing it so much. You can also try massaging the legs once a day as well.
    If you search google images for "chicken sling" you will find a lot of examples.

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Just for your information, Marek's usually causes asymmetrical paralysis, so it is usually just one leg or one wing or one eye that is affected, at least in the initial stages.

Sadly it is much more likely that this is a case of Marek's rather than something to do with a lightening strike. Marek's is exceptionally common and silkies are particularly prone to it. Lightening strikes are pretty rare. Of course it may be an injury but usually the bird will show signs of pain when a lame leg is manipulated if it is an injury. With Marek's they often show frustration at being unable to control it but not pain.
    @Wyorp Rock has given good advice regarding treatment. Keeping her happy and stress free is important and making sure that she continues to be enthusiastic about food. Once they lose their appetite, it is usually all down hill after that and I use that as the red line to end their suffering. I have had birds take several months to partially or totally recover from Marek's lameness so try not to be too despondent. If you can get her out on grass in the sunshine occasionally (I know not always easy at this time of year) and within sight of the flock, that will help to keep her spirits up to fight it.
    Good luck

ChickenCanoe and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Thanks for the information. Disease or injury the little Pecky sure could use supportive care. @StellaBee how are things going?

PollyGirl21 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. StellaBee

StellaBee In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2019
    Sorry everyone for not getting back with y’all till now. Pecky is hanging in there quite well so far, she has started moving around more, still eating and drinking ok. I will get a couple pics when I can. I can manipulate her leg and she doesn’t seem to act like it hurts at all.
    Thanks for all of the advice. Its very much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: