Silkie #1 and #2 What color am I?? Lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thomas423, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I have 4 silkies that I picked up in California at a feed store in Vista. I am very confused about their colors. They all appear black (#1 has the most grey) but their feet are a mixed color. I don't know if they are black, grey, black with leakage (whatever that is???) or something else.

I'm putting the pics on pages in MY PAGES and putting the links here in one thread. That way each bird has it's own set of pics to make it easier for all you experts to keep track of what you are looking at but everything is in one thread

Also, tell me if you think they are boys or girls and what qualities are good or bad about them. This is just a hobby for me but I'm trying to learn and need to figure out who to keep and who to give away.

They are 14 weeks old in these pics.

Silkie #1
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=25643-black-silkie-1

Silkie #2
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=25643-black-silkie-2

Thanks everyone. I'll add the pics of #3 and 4 soon.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    First off, I'll tell you I'm not very good with silkie traits, so I can't help you there. I know they are supposed to have 5 seperate toes, a walnut comb, and full feathers down their middle toe. They are also supposed to have blue earlobes. That being said, I should be able to help with colors. [​IMG]

Silkie #1: It looks like a dark blue. The lighter colored feathers will probably molt out. Can't tell the sex of this one.

Silkie #2: looks like a black. This one looks male, according to those wattles coming in.

Black birds should have a green sheen to the feathers, but often silkies don't. If this last one has more hard feathers in the tail, they are probably green, not blue. Again, the off colors in the feet will probably molt out.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, maybe someone else will come along? [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Both pet quality birds, although #2 is slightly better. Neither have sufficiently dark skin--see the red faces?

SIlkies are supposed to have blue/turquoise earlobes. #2 loooks male based upon comb. Wattles in silkies are no clue--many silkies have little to no wattles.

#1 looks like a dark blue; #2 looks more like a black. The off-coloured feathers may or may not molt out--it is another indication of their being PQ. Green sheen is based upon feather structure, not pigment. Easier seen on hard feathers than on silkie feathers.

4. Silkiefan

Silkiefan Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    #1 looks like a girl, but kinda hard to tell.
    #2 is definitely a boy... the comb is supposed to be a lovely purple color, and the ears in both boys and girls are a wildly bright turquoise.
    the feet should be charcoal color on the bottom. Yours are probably hatchery chickies, and not show quality, they're pet quality - which is awesome... mine are pet quality too, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Anything Silkies are "supposed" to look like doesn't matter when they're beloved pets. Congratulations on your lucky find!

5. Thomas423

Thomas423 Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I checked chick #1 and the bottom of her/his feet are green, not yellow like the pic shows. All the rest are charcoal grey on the bottoms of their feet.

Also, I forgot to put their ages in the post. They are about 14 weeks old. I added it now.

Still trying to get the time to upload the pics of #3 and 4. We're trying to get the banty coop finished today. I can't believe that it is Aug and summer is almost over.

Thanks for the responses....any one else have guesses to their sex?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: