Silkie ~20 wks old - male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wrightsx4, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Calypso or Cal? We only have one silkie in our flock so I have nothing to compare except looking at photos online. Ours acts very henlike - pecking around all day, steals food from others and runs, and never stands alert with the roosters. The tail is low and level with its body, not upright. This is a hatchery stock bird so I know it'll be easy for anyone more familiar with silkies (But not me!) My suspicion roots from those new feathers on its head. Now all our chickens in this age group are filling in with their adult feathers, so are those really "streamers"...male?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Yeah, I think you have a male there.

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Those do look like streamers (male crest feathers). Doesn't look like it has five toes either (unless that's just the angle of your photos?)

4. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    He/she only has 4 toes. When it was only a couple days old it had a very tiny 5th toe bump on one foot but it was constricted at the base as though it was barely attached. Within a few days it fell off. I bought it at the feed store knowing it wasn't going to be show quality. We had just hatched chicks from eggs but none of the silkies hatched so I bought one for my daughter in hopes of getting a female. 50/50 chance - I guess I chose wrong!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like a rooster to me.

6. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Roo but not very good quality. It looksike it has a pew comb and only four toes.

7. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Pea comb
    quote name="BooeyBird" url="/t/817257/silkie-20-wks-old-male-or-female#post_11875316"]Roo but not very good quality. It looksike it has a pew comb and only four toes.[/quote]

8. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Okay so it's a boy. I knew it was hatchery stock and not good for show or breeding. Just a pet.
    Thanks everyone for your input!

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    If you can have a rooster where you live, he should still make a great pet for your kid. Silkie roosters don't tend to get mean.

10. Wrightsx4

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Yeah, I'm sure we'll keep him as long as he stays nice to both hens and humans. We already have more roosters than I know what to do with. We're letting them grow out until we know which ones to keep - all different breeds - RIR, various marans, faverolles, Ee's... We've removed 6 this summer so far, at least 8 more need to go before winter. The silkie will likely stay though, purely for pet value.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by