Silkie (8m/ male) Eye Wound

Jessica1228

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Michigan
I just came home to witness what looked like a partridge peck my dear Lillie’s eye out. She seems ok for the most part (slightly lethargic and traumatized). She is conscious and there is very little blood. Hey eye socket is swelling very fast and appears to be leaking. I can’t find and any scratches or other wounds except for a cut by her toe and a few broken toes on her other foot. The closest vet that will see her is 75 miles away and closed until Monday. Go figure. I haven’t been able to get any answers from the vets that I have called and have no clue what to do. What can I put on it? Can I soak it? Should I?

Not sure if any of this is relevant but it looked like a good idea…
1) What type of bird , age and weight.: silkie, 8 months, 2-ish lbs maybe
2) What is the behavior: lethargic but conscious, stands for 2-3 min and sits back down, breathing with beak open, making some crackling sounds.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 25 min.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: missing eye, broken toes, cut by toe,
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: attacked by wild bird
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: not yet
8) How does the poop look? Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Brought her inside, in sink under heating pad
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? No clue yet, vet not an option
11) picture of wound: none yet
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: bedding is straw, coop is converted stall in barn with other chickens. In my bathroom sink right now though.

Back
Top Bottom