Silkie? About leg banding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Freckle Face Farm, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Well I have some new baby silkies. And was wondering what works best with those silkie fluffy legs for banding... I was thinking of the cork screw looking ones but was wondering about something permenent.. And what size for silkies? [​IMG] What works best for silkies? Thanks [​IMG]

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    unless it is full grown you will have to change them. I use little colored rubberbands (like the ones for braces) when they are chicks then move up from there. havent had a problem with the feathers as of yet.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

On my adult silkies I use size 9 plastic numbered bandettes. You can start putting them on at around 6-8 weeks of age.

4. jensen

jensen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    I think those are good. You can also get bands from National Band & Tag Co. Can be looked up by googling them.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    The ABA sells different sizes of permanant bands, and they recomend size 15 for featherlegs. I put them on at about a month of age, but I don't record who is who until I stop finding them lying around on the floor of the pen. I just keep replacing them until they grow into them.

6. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Yeah, I start trying about 6 weeks old with the ABA bands also. I like those because then I they have the year on them also. But Sundown is right in the size to use if you get regular bandettes. Try Foyes' Pigeons too, the are very reasonable on their prices!!

Vickie

7. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Ok I think I am going with the ABA ones.. Thought about the ones at stombers with the name and address (cool)..But no #'s on them..Thanks for helping..I like the permanant ones.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by