Silkie adoptee - hope it works AGAIN - one new baby.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joebryant, Jan 25, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I had 13 silkie eggs out of 14 to freeze in shipment. After candling on days 10 and 15, I kept the single viable one remaining in the incuator hoping it'd hatch; it did. This morning, it was in the incubator all hatched out and dry when I got up to check on it about 4:30 A.M. It's now 4:54 A.M., and I just now returned from the barn empty handed. I put the little chick under one of my two silkie hens, and she sat down on it. I left, hoping that she's taking care of it because if I have to raise a single chick, it'll be a real pain in the neck.
    This is the third time that I've put one or two chicks under one or both of my silkies; they've always taken to them immediately and raised them without their being the least bit broodie. I'll wait until after daylight about 8:00 A.M. to go to the barn to check.
    Lecha no later; keeping my fingers crossed.

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Fingers crossed with you. [​IMG]

I bet she accepts it.....

3. joebryant

Quote:Thanks, I bet you're right. I just love my two silkies. They're like no other animal, especially "chickens".

4. joebryant

So sue me! I couldn't wait. It's been more than an hour.
    It's 6:52 A.M. now, and I just got back from the barn. Victoria has not budged from where she was when she took the chick, but she's all fluffed up and keeping it warm. I'll go out later with some feed and water for it. I'll have to jury-rig the large heated dog water bowl with plates and pie plates to make it safe for the chick to drink from.
    Silkies are the best "chicken moms" there is.

"All's well that ends well."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by