Silkie advise...got some pics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    It is planned for the spring time to order some silkie chicks. I've been looking and looking and trying decided what color I want.
    My silkies will be pets and maybe let some hatch. I know that when I order some will end up roosters so need a color that would sell good. Silkies go fast around here!!!
    I really love the red ones I've seen but also read that red is not an approved color. So thinking maybe buff or blue??

What's ya'lls favorite color and got pics? I'd love to see them:)

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    He's just a pet but I love his coloring. He is only 6 months old and dazzles me with his colors.
    [​IMG]

3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    My favorites would have to be the buff.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I LOVE splash silkies. I went to a show and white and splash were the 2 colors with the most entries.

5. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Oooooh , he is purty!!!

I like the splashes too but Ideal doesn't have them. Hmmm, I should check out some other sites.
    That's interesting about the colors at the show. I think buff's are very pretty but I've also never seen any around here. It's always white or black. I don't know anything about shows or if there's any around here but everytime I see silkies, whites are always sold.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I am starting my line of Bearded Buff Silkies. If you are looking to have "poofy" silkie with large crests, you will want to buy directly from a breeder, if purchased from a hatchery, the silkies will generally have hardly any puff, and bad toe feathering.

7. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I ordered eggs from Fluff N Stuff up in NY. I received 14 and 7 hatched. They are some awesome pets! I love the little buggers. They are easy to spoil.

8. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:He really is a pretty rooster. Love his coloring. Very different.

Paula

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I got reds and partriges from Ideal. I had hoped to hatch some that i had gotten mailed but my bator wasn't any good i guess. Those would have been white i think they were.

10. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have two Partridge roos but I have only one I think is pretty.
    Here is a photo of the one I am not tickled about.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by