Silkie Air sack Large

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jessie22, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Jessie22

Jessie22 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hatched 4 silkies (a total of 6 eggs) and its 2 days going on 3 days the other 2 silkie eggs have not even piped. The air sack is large like almost half but not quit half way. Will they hatch later? How long should I wait before turning the incubator off. The silkie end is dark can't see through it. Any suggestions?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Chicks ideally take 21 days to hatch. I give them till day 25 and then toss the eggs. If they don't hatch by then they are not going to.

3. Jessie22

I just did the water test and both eggs are viable so I will wait and wait and wait!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Any egg with an air cell will float if that is what you are going by. If they floated and wiggled independantly of water movement then there's sign of life.

5. Jessie22

I just put them in the warm water to see if they would float but 1 of the eggs wiggled to the side of the big bowl and seemed alive. If they are late hatchers will they normal. These are shipped eggs and maybe they could be older eggs or something.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

It's rare that you see hatchers after 48 hours of the first hatchers if all the eggs are standard size and set at the same time. Especially if the first hatchers were on time. Anything is possible with eggs and chicks, but generally, the farther you get from day 21/22 the higher the probability of having chicks hatching with issues are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by