1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie/ameraucana Mixes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PoultryQueen29, Oct 7, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone own a silkie/ameraucana mix and can tell me about them? I am interested in buying some hens and I want to know mainly how big they get, when you can tell the gender, and when they start laying but I also want to know if getting 3-4 hens will be ok for them socially.

2. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I also love bantam cochins, frizzles, and cochin/frizzle mixes [​IMG]

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie-Xs, as I like to call my Silkie/Ameraucana mixes, are smooth feathered for the first generation (F1). After that, some chicks start having silkied feathers. The size is somewhere between a large bantam and a small LF. They lay a blue or mint green egg that is also an in-between, being on the line between Medium and Large. I can usually tell the gender around 3-4 months old, unless they crow early! My hens started laying between 20 and 24 weeks, and are dependable layers. They are easygoing birds and tend to bond with their clutch mates, so not many social problems with them. Here are some of my F1s:

(In the background, behind the white Silkie)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some of my F2s:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks [​IMG] They are really cute!

5. marvel51

marvel51 New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    I know its an old post but I wanted to share a picture of my Silkie/Ameraucana Young roo. I just love his coloring! ![​IMG]

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Partridge?

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  8. KristenPyeatt

KristenPyeatt New Egg

Dec 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is my silkie americauna mix roo.

9. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    I have a couple silkie/americauna/grey orp/?banty hens and they are great. They are the size of a large silky, i'd say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by