Silkie/Americauna mix having trouble walking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kabeswater, Feb 24, 2017.

1. kabeswater

kabeswater New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Hi!! I have a silkie/ameraucana mix that has the feet of a silkie but the rounder body and slight feathers of an americauna. It's about a month old and has no problem balancing on its feet and flapping from one place to another to get somewhere, but I have noticed it refuses to walk regular distances. I am afraid this may be because of the mix breed?? Any suggestions? And no it's not spraddle leg : )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you looked carefully on the bottoms of its feet for any wounds? Cuts, splinters, that sort of thing, can get infected and swell, causing pain when walking.

It's a beautiful chick. has it been eating and pooping normally? Do the other chicks show any signs of picking on it? Does this chick appear to be avoiding the other chicks?

3. kabeswater

kabeswater New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    It was the only egg hatched and its the only chick currently in the brooder so no picking on by other chicks. We keep shredded soft wood on the ground (normal brooder padding) so I don't think it's that. Other than that it's been regularly eating chick feed and drinking water and pooping. I've been keeping an eye on it to see if there's any progress but no dice : (

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by