Silkie(?) And a Buff Orpington, Hen or rooster?

Rebekah Mc

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
Here’s the Silkie; I don’t actually know what he/she is so if you have any idea feel free to say. Both of these chicks are 8 weeks. Plus or minus a week.
View attachment 2175184
View attachment 2175186

View attachment 2175160
Than here is the Orpington who I’m personally skeptical is a cockerel though we bought at a local feed store that said they were guaranteed hens. I saw it was was getting quite red and had waddles coming in about a week ago.

View attachment 2175170View attachment 2175168
View attachment 2175177
(I’m seeing little spurs coming in)

View attachment 2175178
View attachment 2175180
View attachment 2175182

The black one is probably a pullet, though she isn’t pure Silkie, only 4 toes on one foot, non feathered legs and no silkied feathers. BO is a cockerel. Just to add, spurs aren’t indicative of sex. All chickens have spurs.

The silkie, is a hen, the buff orp is a roo.
The black one is probably a pullet, though she isn’t pure Silkie, only 4 toes on one foot, non feathered legs and no silkied feathers. BO is a cockerel. Just to add, spurs aren’t indicative of sex. All chickens have spurs.
Thank you both. Also I only thought roosters had spurs? I guess I haven’t looked hard enough at the hens, thank you!

Thank you both. Also I only thought roosters had spurs? I guess I haven’t looked hard enough at the hens, thank you!

Nope. All have them. They may just look like a little bump or nail on the pullets. Older hens tend to grow long spurs, like roosters, I know my old hen did.

Back
Top Bottom