Silkie and Ameraucana's boys or girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mustangsaguaro, Jun 15, 2011.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    So, I have 5 Ameraucana's and 2 silkie chicks I hatched myself. All are 7 weeks old right now. Any guesses as to what I've got boys or girls? I have a feeling I know but want to see if my guesses are what others think. And as to the 2 silkies what color would they be considered to be? I'm thinking lavenders but not 100% sure.

[​IMG]
    photo 1

[​IMG]
    photo 2

[​IMG]
    photo 3

[​IMG]
    photo 4

[​IMG]
    photo 5

[​IMG]
    photo 6

[​IMG]
    photo 7

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm not an expert on silkies but here's my guess:

Pic 1, hen

pic 2, roo

pic 3, hen

pic 4, hen

pic 5, hen

pic 6, hen

pic 7, hen

enjoy your BEAUTIFUL birds. [​IMG]

3. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    bump, anyone else care to take a guess?

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Not sure on anyone yet, but
    1-roo
    2- pullet
    3- roo
    4- pullet
    5- ?
    6- pullet
    7- pullet
    Try updating your pics in 2 weeks or so, probably be a lot more accurate on guesses by then. [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    1. Roo
    2. Roo
    3. Pullet
    4. Pullet
    5. ?
    6. Pullet
    7. Pullet

Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    hmm. Now you've all got me stumped. As I thought the following

1. female
    2. male
    3. male
    4. male
    5-7. females

Would like to know for those of you that thought pic 1 is a male why is that. And for pics 3 and 4 why females and not males? What traits are you looking at that would make you think pics 3 & 4 are females and not males?

Thanks

7. snowburton8

snowburton8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    First silkie= pullet
    SEcond Silkie=roo
    First EE=roo
    Second EE=pullet
    Third EE=pullet
    Fourth EE=pullet
    Fifth EE=pulet

8. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Snowburton, just to correct you the non silkies chicks are not EE. They are true Ameraucana's. They are Lavender's. I know for a fact they are not EE because I got them from a breeder whose is a member of the ABC (Ameraucana Breeders Club) who also sometimes posts on this board as well.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Snowburton, just to correct you the non silkies chicks are not EE. They are true Ameraucana's. They are Lavender's. I know for a fact they are not EE because I got them from a breeder whose is a member of the ABC (Ameraucana Breeders Club) who also sometimes posts on this board as well.

I knew I was envious of them for a good reason. It's refreshing to see true Ameraucanas, since most people have the EEs that are mislabled at the stores. I love EEs, but sometimes I cheat on them by admiring Ameraucanas [​IMG] . Some day I hope to have enough funds/space to have a flock like yours!

All of your Ameraucanas are very pullet looking and arn't showing signs of rooishness yet. The only silkie that looks suspicious to me is the second, but a picture of his/her comb would help.

Hope that helps!

10. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:Was hoping I had a roo in there. As my plan is to start breeding next year when they are old enough. Thank goodness I have more Ameraucana eggs in the incubator. Plan on selling a bunch and hopefully the ones I plan to keep I pick a roo out.

As for the suspicious silkie his/her comb is still really small. I'll post more photos in 2 weeks of the silkie. I am thinking about getting into showing silkies so hoping one of these 2 ends up being show quality. However do have some more silkie eggs under a broody so hoping to get more chicks. But we will see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by