Silkie and Brahma sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mygirlScout, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I've asked about this light brahma before, and I've never gotten a for sure answer. I took "him" back to the farm to swap him out, but they were pretty sure he was a hen. Now, I'm about 100% positive it's a rooster, but don't want to drive out there unless it is for sure a rooster.

[​IMG]

Next are the silkies.

Silkie #1
    [​IMG]

Silkie #2
    [​IMG]

Silkies together [​IMG]

This silkie I'm not sure on. It is not from the same person as the last 2 silkies are, so I can't really compare them.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd really like to see that brahma's face. It has those few feathers sticking up in the back that look like sickle feathers, but I have a definite hen that has a few mangled feathers sticking up in the back too.
    The silkies I wouldn't even hazard a guess on. Those things still confuse me. [​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We had two Light Brahma hens that we had a heck of a time telling. We looked at lots of different pictures to make a determination. There is so little difference in appearance. Ours had well formed tails with sickles even. A front pic might help but from what I can see it looks like that is a hen. As for the silkies..... No idea. We got two silkies, one from a pretty reputable silkie breeder that told us it was a hen. Turns out it really is a roo. Now we are hoping the one that is supposed to be a roo really is a hen.

4. mygirlScout

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Brahma front views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that helps

5. pebblessix

pebblessix Out Of The Brooder

I believe your Brahma is a very pretty hen. We have lots of Brahma hens and roosters to compare her to. Silkies are alot harder. I just wait to see if mine crow or lay eggs!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your Light Brahma is a hen.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, a hen. The front view made it alot easier to tell.

8. mygirlScout

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    [​IMG]

Thanks! "Her" tail feathers were throwing me off, they just started to get longer and curl over.

Now I'm just hoping the white silkie is a hen [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

For some reason, the brahma is screaming rooster to me. It is the way the tail is. And I think you have 2 silkie hens, and the white silkie is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by