1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie and Cochin. Pullet ?? or Cockerel ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lydiagirl99, Aug 10, 2016.

1. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    A little while ago when my hen was broody, I went and bought some special eggs for her. 3 silkie eggs and 2 cochin. 1 of the cochin eggs weren't fertile and 1 of the silkie babies died early on. In the end 2 little silkies and 1 cochin hatched. I only have pictures of 1 of the silkie babies and one of the cochin because momma has the other baby. They are 4 weeks old and I was wondering if you could start to tell. Anything is appreciated :)

Here is Weasley and Potter.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The Silkie is too young to tell and they can be difficult. Some people say you have to wait until they crow or lay an egg! When it's a bit older you could find a Silkie thread that's still active and post it on there for some expert opinions. At the moment your cochin looks like a girl, but by 6 weeks you should know for sure as boys will sprout bright pink wattles and combs by that age. Your baby's comb still looks very small compared to what my boys were at 4 weeks old so fingers crossed it stays that way. Here's one of our boys at 4 weeks old and at 6 weeks old - as you can see the comb is already sticking up at 4 weeks and he's quite pink where his wattles will come through. By 6 weeks there's no doubt.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    way too young for the silkie, but have to say it is "trying" to be a cockerel

4. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I really hope none of them are cockerels. I already have 1 main rooster and ended up hatching out and keeping 2 cockerels before I knew they were boys. Anymore will not be a fun time [​IMG] Luckily I have an extra pen for when things start getting rough and hormones kick in. Thank you @JaeG ! I'll update in 2 weeks and see what you think of my Cochin.
    And @drumstick diva , what do you mean "trying" I realize he's bearded unlike my other Silkie but that doesn't mean cockerel, does it ?

5. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Okay, I know it's only been a week and two days but thought I'd update and see what you guys say !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking cockerel on the top, pullet on the bottom, but that's just a wild guess at this point.

7. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Thank you for the guess ! Any ideas on their sibling, Granger?

[​IMG]

8. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    1st thought awww! 2nd thought (this is a wild guess) but I am leaning to the right a little bit (right=cockerel)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I was thinking the same.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm gently leaning toward cockerel on Granger, but it's not a very strong feeling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by