SILKIE AND GUINEA ACTING WIERD

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marymac, Dec 20, 2008.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    My Silkie has been staying inside the coop the last few days, not wanting to go outside as usual. She used to go out frr range before, but about 1 wk ago my little silkie/cochin roo got killed by a stray dog. I don't know if that has any thing to do with her behavior or not. She is about 8 mths old or so, has not laid any eggs yet. Could this be a sign she is getting ready? Then today my female
    Guinea did not want to go outside either. Before nothing made her stay in. She would walk around the coop and then sit on the floor. They both did eat and seem normal other wise. My Guinea is about 7 mths old. Isn't it too early for Guineas to start laying eggs? I thought they don't lay till about March. Any one got any ideas? I'm still learning and waiting for my first eggs.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It almost sounds like they were aware of a predator and were being very cautious.

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I had considered that too. Although my other chickens went out and acted normal. I stayed outside watching them for a while and all seemed ok. Later I did see both of them outside with the rest of their group. Who knows>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by