Silkie and lavender orphington young roo

RMMurphy

Hatching
Apr 2, 2021
I have a mixed flock with 3 silkies and a variety of other girls and an unexpected lavender orphington rooster. He is about 4-5 months old. Two weeks ago one of the silkies Petunia (most docile) got pecked on the head - not sure what happened - and she was very out of it. I didn't think she was going to make it. However after a couple of days she was eating and walking around but she seems separate from the flock now. Jazzy (roo) is chasing her and she can not seem to run from him - the other silkies keep good distance from him. There is plenty of space but he tracks her down. Jazzy isn't very high on the pecking order of the other girls so she seems to be easy picking. Now petunia is afraid to come out of the coop in the morning and doesn't want to go in at night. I didn't want a rooster and now I have this awful dynamic happening. I am thinking of getting rid of jazzy 😢 but what if petunia is just too easy game for the pecking order. Meaning will another hen harrass her too? I'm a new chicken owner and just completely insure the right thing to do. Jazzy is a big bird compared to the silkies and worry in general when he mounts them he will hurt them. So is getting rid of him the right thing to do? Is petunia in trouble regardless?

I would rehome the cockerel. He has a body full of raging hormones and no adult hens or rooster to put him in line.
Your flock will be much more peaceful without him.
Your pullet will hopefully recover fully and integrate well with the rest of the flock after he is removed.

Back
Top Bottom