1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie--appears to be a pullet, acts like a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenbelle, Feb 3, 2013.

1. chickenbelle

chickenbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Vernon Parish, La
    I am far from being an expert on silkies. We have a silkie that was sold to us as a black..but ended up having some partridge in it. He is solid black, but gold necked.

Since it came home with a group of young large fowl birds, it has always blended well. It has taken over the role of leader in the flock of large fowl orps, RIRs, and wyandottes. It has acted like a rooster from day one so we were convinced it was. But now, at 26 weeks...I'm not seeing any streamers or tell tale signs of a little rooster. We thought we heard it try to crow once, but think it may have been mimicking the RIRs. Could he really be a pullet??[​IMG]

i would greatly appreciate anyone's imput here. I'm raising some chicks to give it some of its own kind to mingle with. Have a look at its head and tell me your thoughts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks girlie to me. Its non-bearded and NB girls tend to have much larger combs and wattles than bearded girls. At almost 11 months old, my Silkie rooster is just now starting to show streamers, and most of them still have the wax covers.
    A full body shot of the bird in question would help alot though. One where its in a natural, normal pose :)
    Nikki

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Looks like a girl to me...We have an 8 month old silkie roo and he has an obvious comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by