Silkie attacked by dog, blind, need help! slightly graphic pics added

Do you have a vet college near by? I also had to phone around to find a vet that would work with chickens. I have found that antibiotic injections is the best and fastest way to get a Silkie to recover and then you can work on his/her health. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. for your help and words.

Sassie passed away sometime last night.
The others in the coop are doing well, though.

Yes, sorry too, but given the injury I think it may have been best. It really sounded like even if antibiotics were possible she would never have recovered with sufficient vision to survive on her own and would have taken a great deal of time that you maybe don't have to keep her going.

So sorry you lost her - I did say to you without the intervention of a good avain vet and antibiotics it was not looking good. Dog and cat bites are terrible for infections and hard work to treat.

One thing I am going to say to you though. - IT WAS NOT FOR THE BEST!!!!!!! Best would have been for her to survive, have no pain, and have a measure of quality of life.
There are a lot of BYC folk who look after disabled hens all the time. Some folk would find blindness hard to handle and so for them it would be a different outcome.
But for you - It was wonderful that you cared enough to have wanted your chicken and would have loved and cared about her and for her despite those awful injuries. You were prepared to give money to a Vet if one would come to help her no matter what it cost. You were prepared to change things to accomodate her in your home if she needed it - That is the mark of a really good Chicken owner and lover!!!!

- you are a lovely person who deserved to have won this battle so sad it ended badly.

Oesdog -
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Sorry, just the way I see life. Unfortunatly it would have been best if the attack never happened.... but stuff happens. As the poster said they were not able to be home from 7am to 4pm so this ment the chicken would not be cared for durring that period. A blind injured chicken is not going to do well without regular assistance to feed, water, move sufficiently to prevent leg and sanitary problems and keep from getting stuck in corners ect. Given the nature of the injury, survival was going to be near impossible without antibiotics. It is very hard in my mind to envision a senario where the chicken was not curently suffering and was not going to suffer.

I know I don't hold a popular opinion with some, but I just can't see holding on to a seriously disabled chicken as good animal husbandry, at least not unless providing 24/7 care is what you are willing and able to do. Otherwise it in my mind it is just placing the animal in a condition of suffering for the simple human pleasure of having it around.

Again sorry for your loss. Don't take me to seriously I'm just not much of the
hugs.gif
type. Be happy for the chicken's life you got to experience, remember it fondly, but go out and get a new little chick and experience life with it to the max.

I'm sorry to hear that she past away. I would and did the same - caring for an injured chic. My rooster last year was badly mauled by a weasel and after intensive care, he came back to life.

May she rest in peace.

I believe she had some vision in the other eye, she used to close it if my hand or finger would pass it. The vets I called either said no or they would get back to me. Vets I emailed, some said no and told me to try this vet or that vet, and others also never got back with me.
Either way, she is in chicken heaven with her buddy Shadie and the other Japs.

I'm now hoping some of the eggs I took from the nest will hatch. The hen is gone that was sitting on them, so is the other hen with the 3 week old chicks. So there was no one to sit on them. I got a humidity reader from Lowes, $4.33 with tax. Hopefully I can get the humidity at the right place and something will hatch.

Haven't found a fan kit for the LG bator. It does have the turner, though.

Good luck with the incubator. I read a post here about an adaptation you can make to make temp controling the LG easier (mine fried or froze al my eggs, hard to say which!). I hope you can hatch some eggs. I recently lost birds to our stupid dog too, and wish I had been able to hatch some of their eggs. It would have made the loss a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom