Silkie attacked by dog

coltgrizzz

Songster
Aug 24, 2018
New Jersey
Hi all, so yesterday my little champagne silkie was attacked by a dog. She has two relatively large wounds on her back and was in a state of shock. We cleaned the wounds with saline and then used blukote. She’s alert, eating, drinking, and standing up in her pen. However, I noticed her abdomen is on the larger side. I don’t recall if it was this way prior to being attacked but it concerned me enough to where i stuck a need in to see if i could aspirate anything but didn’t get anything into the syringe. Since she’s a silkie and her skin is dark I can’t tell if there’s any bruising but i haven’t noticed any bloody stool. Is there any chance she could be internally bleeding? I would assume lethargy would follow with internal bleeding but my silkie seems fine otherwise. Any advice?

Attachments

• 585A84E5-80B1-4AFE-BC92-C5106AB812BE.jpeg
    585A84E5-80B1-4AFE-BC92-C5106AB812BE.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi all, so yesterday my little champagne silkie was attacked by a dog. She has two relatively large wounds on her back and was in a state of shock. We cleaned the wounds with saline and then used blukote. She’s alert, eating, drinking, and standing up in her pen. However, I noticed her abdomen is on the larger side. I don’t recall if it was this way prior to being attacked but it concerned me enough to where i stuck a need in to see if i could aspirate anything but didn’t get anything into the syringe. Since she’s a silkie and her skin is dark I can’t tell if there’s any bruising but i haven’t noticed any bloody stool. Is there any chance she could be internally bleeding? I would assume lethargy would follow with internal bleeding but my silkie seems fine otherwise. Any advice?
I had two chickens attacked by a dog about a month ago. Here's my thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dog-attack.1570961/

Lots of good information in there about what to do. Both my birds recovered with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom