Silkie attacked by RIR

stcroixusvi

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Western NC
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silkie, 16-17 weeks old, good size for a Silkie
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She was placed in a coop with a Rhode Island Red, Polish, and her two brooder mates several days ago. For the most part, all looked good - we kept food and water on separate sides of the coop, had places for the silkies to escape or hide if need be. All the birds seem to get on ok.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since the attack this morning.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
N/A
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No obvious sign of injury. She can stand, she holds her head up a bit. She doesn't seem to want to walk, but she can stand.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
See 2 above. When we went out to check on this mid-morning, she was in the middle of the coop run with the RIR pecking her. She was huddled and not moving.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She will drink water when we put it to her beak through a medicine dropper but will not eat. We've offered watermelon, lettuce, and grower feed.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No poop yet, she really doesn't move.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
She has been sleeping all afternoon, sometimes normally curled up,sometimes with her head out. When we first found her, we took her out of the coop and put her in her old brooder along with one of her brooder-mates.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Not sure what a vet could do at this point. I am looking for suggestions or prior experience.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is now in pine shavings in a brooder box with ample water and feed.

This little peep is such a sweetie. She is so docile and pretty - she is my avatar, taken when she was just a couple of weeks old. I would hate to lose her, and hope that she is just recovering from shock. FYI, we took the offender out and put her in with the main population this evening after they all went to bed.

Any prior experience is appreciated.

You have done the right things. Hopefully she is just a little shocky and will be better in the AM. It is a sad fact that silkies frequently have problems being accepted by an established flock. Their chances of being accepted are much better if raised with the standard birds.

We are new to silkies. The only other bird in the coop that was not raised with them is the Polish. I am shocked that for 2-3 days, all seemed ok - only an occasional peck or 2 - and we were vigilant about watching. The offender was actually a pecked hen that we removed after she prolapsed.

I do hope you are right and she recovers from her shock. We will keep them in the brooder (large dog crate in the sun porch) for a long while. Her buddy, the buff silkie, are inseparable.

For some reason Polish frequently become the target in a mixed flock and have their topknots picked out. Keep an eye on your Polish also.

My polish roo gets his head pecked big time it's bald in the back. I tried to clip his wings and keep in segregated with the tophat hen (who never gets pecked) but he finds a way to fly out. He just wants to range with the dang big mean hens. So I use blukote which doesn't help that much but I also finally cut all his head feathers down. So his head looks like a regular chickens head now. U can see the black crest but I make sure to clip it pretty short and this seems to help a bit. I really like him so I dint care if he looks silly lol

She looks like she will fully recover - she is up and moving around. What a shock for the poor sweet sweet Silkie. The offender spent the night in the main coop and held her own today. Just have to watch her because she is bottom of the order in the main coop.

By the way, we finally gave our Polish roosters away for the same reason. We had to keep them separated - built yet another chicken tractor for one, and got out the dog crate for the other. Just didn't seem like a good life, so a woman who has Polish and Silkies came and picked them all up. It's very quiet around here. I miss them.

HELP. She is going down hill. She has stopped eating but will eat yogurt if we put it to her beak. She drinks from the bowl but we have to tip it toward her. She rallies once she has water and yogurt, but it doesn't last. She is such a sweet, gentle bird. What should I do?

She is still eating and drinking this morning, with assistance. I have a heat lamp in the brooder and she seems to like hanging out under it. Her eyes are open. I hope she makes it. Thanks again for asking.

Back
Top Bottom