silkie attacked....hole in back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sillystunt, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    so last week my silkies were attacked by our new dog (not her fault, should have had gate secured better)

We didn't see any hole but after a day or so smelt something

Cleaned out the hole( will not go into detail for week stomachs) lets just say.....flies got to her

Totally clean and have her inside. She is not eating really but drinking. She is in a box and i feel like she needs to walk around but my floors are no good! Very slippery......

Can i stich her up or something cause it's not really getting smaller.....................

trying not to cull, her rooster hid for 4 days cause he was beat up protecting her. Would like them to reunite.............

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh wow, sorry to hear that Silly. I would give her vitamins/electrolites in that drinking water, and even some duramayacin, which is an antibiotic. I'm not sure if I could sew my own chicken's wound....[​IMG] Is the hole very large and gaping?

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I would think sewing it would close up the bacteria inside the wound which you do not want to do.
    Do you have a dressing on it? How deep is the hole? Any drainage from the wound?? HAve you been using anything on it?

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If it's really big you could use some stitches in the middle, but you need it to still drain if it was deep and infected. Hard to know without seeing it. If you do decide to stitch, boil needle first to sterilize and use heavy thread of a color you can see easily against both feathers and skin. (Don't put her in with any other chickens while thread is still in her back.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by