Silkie attacked; Wry neck; Neuro damage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mobilelyn, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Mobilelyn

Mobilelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    My sweetest of the sweet Silkies, Ender, seems to have been attacked. My Mom was caring of the chickens overnight & when I came home this afternoon, Ender (the silkie) was lying in a ball. Her neck is twisted down and she is having neck & head spasms. I can calm her by holding her but she still has episodes of the "seizing" neck.

We just combined 2 flocks & she was always the bottom of the order to begin with. Her crest is missing a chunk of feathers, (though not to the scalp). There is no other sign of injury. She is clearly dehydrated. I have a feeling she hasn't been allowed to eat or drink by the others. Poor thing has her head twisted all the way down under her chest by her belly :(

I have her isolated in the Sick Bin (in the house) and have given her Nutridrench & water (oral syringe) as well as some yogurt. Is there any thing else?

I know they can be healed if it is caused by a vitamin deficiency but what if it's from an injury like bing pecked too hard by a larger hen? AND if she does heal, how on earth can I put her back in there with all those big meanies!?

Thanks for advice & thoughts!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some silkies have a vaulted skull which can be easily injured. Keep her as quiet as possible, helping her to eat and drink at intervals, and limit noise and stimulation. The Nutri-drench has the thiamine, vitamin E, and selenium needed to try wry neck, and if a vet is available, prednisone can sometimes be used. Wry neck is a neurological symptom caused by injury, vitamin deficiency, or diseases that cause brain inflammation. I sure hope that she recovers soon. Here are some links to read, and in the first vitamin dosages are recommended: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

3. Mobilelyn

Mobilelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Thanks for the links; I had already seen 2 of them but one was new! She is ding better today but I am worried she has sour crop as well :( I am afraid to empty it because she will get so stressed but I am also worried about leaving it for too long....

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would probably ignore her crop. Many sick chickens will develop a slow-emptying crop. It may feel full like a balloon, and if you start massaging it, you can easily cause them to aspirate or choke if the contents come up into the throat. Just feed her water, scrambled or raw egg, some wet crumbles, and back off on the yogurt (just put a tiny bit into her feed.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by