1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie attacking a brahma hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Aug 22, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My silkie Jethro is broody. Yeah, like that's news. [​IMG]

Jethro has been coming off her nest for about an hour once a day; perfectly okay with our triple digit temps. For some reason when Jethro comes out she seeks out one of my older dark brahma hens and attacks her. The same hen every time. The brahma is not bothering Jethro or her nest, but Jethro has a vendetta with this hen. I'll admit it is kinda funny to watch a 9 lb. hen try to run away from a 2 lb. silkie.

Does Jethro have a valid reason or is she simply being another weird silkie?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Isn't it funny how the wee little ones think they're just HUGE? It's the same way with dogs....My Pom thinks he's about the size of a reat Dane! haha

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Jethro best be minding her Ps and Qs. Some of my brahma hens aren't such pushovers, especially now that they are without a rooster.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just typical gritty hen behavior. Oh, wait, Gritty, that's you isn't it. What an odd coincidental play on words. [​IMG] Oops, I'm the guy who does not believe in coincidences??

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If I didn't love you like a second father I'd smack you. But then that would definitely be ELDER abuse. [​IMG]

ETA: Check out what my little polish is up to in the stories section [​IMG] I'm overrun in nutty birds! (birds of a feather? Beat ya to it [​IMG] )

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by