Silkie Babies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 30erink, Jun 16, 2016.

1. 30erink

30erink New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hello there! My mom and I recently acquired 10 chicks, and I FINALLY got three silkies (I've wanted them for a few years now). I was hoping maybe someone could tell me what colour types they'll be? The brown/tan is Ivy (largest of all of our 10 chicks), the yellowish chick is Quinn (tiniest of all our 10)! My third silkie, Harley, is the same colour as Quinn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They all appear to be partridge. My partridge chicks vary a lot, from very light like your last two pics, to quite a bit darker than your first pic. Some of my light chicks end up being silver partridge, the lighter chicks could be that.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. 30erink

30erink New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    I posted this in the silkie thread as well, someone said my yellows are painted silkies

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wonder if the last two may be paint silkies. The first is partridge. There are silkie threads called "Nothing but Partridge silkies," and "Paint silkies." you could post there and check them out.

5. 30erink

30erink New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    I'll take the pictures there as well, thanks!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've never seen paints that looked like that before. For reference, here's a light partridge that just hatched here not too long ago. It's got more markings than yours do, but it is indeed feathering in partridge. I've had them hatch out with just a couple little dots and still end up partridge. Anything is possible though, and you'll know what they are soon enough when their little feathers start coming in! Where did you get them? That might help us narrow down the options a bit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  7. 30erink

30erink New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    I got them from Saskia Cacanindin at Blue House Farm in North Carolina

8. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ok, so not from a hatchery. Could be paint then, if that breeder has them. I hope you'll keep us posted. Do they have any little wing feathers coming in yet?

9. 30erink

30erink New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    They do! And they're getting fluffier. My breeder said all of her silkies have been running together (white, black, buff).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by