Silkie Baby Broody... ((update and Pic)) update pg4

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by winekntrychicks, Jan 13, 2009.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    She (Mocha) tried to set yesterday but I took them away. I went out to do roll call this morning and there she was sitting on two more. So I constructed the other silkies a new nest box so they won't disturb her at night when they quasi roost. I gave her 4 more eggs so now she is sitting on 6. Any words of advice....I plan on letting mother nature takes it's course however just wanted some input.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Does she have food and water close by? Should be fine.

3. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Thanks, yes they are confined to coop and run due to hawks and such....

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Be careful none of the other hens take her nest anyway. Some of mine were bullies when I tried with my broody in the coop and they took her nest away anyway, even though there were others free. The eggs got cold once the bullies were off and my broody took a new nest. Otherwise, sounds good. [​IMG]

5. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Thanks, I have only 3 Silkies; two females and Banjo the roo. They have their own coop and run separate from the standards...We shall see how this all turns out... Kinda excited...

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a broody too sitting on six eggs. I am not sure if they are her eggs or the other hens eggs I didn't even know these girls was laying because they hid them from me. I am just doing as you letting mother take its course She is in a nice place and the eggs feel very warm and so is she so I am excited to see the out come. She is only 7 months so she may give up then again she seems to be sitting tightly I wanted to move her cause she is in the coop with 1 other hen and roo but she just seemed so happy so I will let her be and just keep a eye on her. I plan on moving her when the chicks hatch to a better location. Last time I let a hen brood and hatch chicks was november and almost in the same spot as this hen is broody and the eggs didnt hatch till the 26th day. I learned a hard lesson last time and will nto make the same mistake this time. I noticed her acting weird the day before so I am counting that day as day 1 for me. Just to keep track of when I noticed her acting broody. good luck to you I hope all turns out well for you and me too..LOL

7. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:thanks, will keep posted on this thread....

8. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Here is my Broody Mocha.

[​IMG]

Today is day 9. I really don't think she is getting off to eat or drink. It's as if she is in a trance. I gave her food in my hand today and she took it. I offered her food a few days ago and she declined. She started out with 4 eggs now she has 10. She rolled the eggs from the other Silkie under her. I know because I moved her to the other side of the coop because the rooster and other silkie girl were nesting with her at night and leaving poo with her in the morning. Once I moved her; eggs started showing up again from the other Silkie. I want to let nature takes it's course but should I put food and water with her inside with her?? Thanks in advance for replies.

9. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't. When she needs to she will get off of the eggs to eat, drink, and poo. Isn't that trance thing they do weird?

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If she keeps rolling eggs under her there are going to be some that are due to hatch a lot later than the others. You need to stop letting her do that. After the first one hatches she'll only sit on the nest another 24-48 hours and the other eggs will die unless you have an incubator to put them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by