1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie baby from Bamachicken is she white? Large pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tazcat70, Oct 29, 2008.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

She doesn't look like she will be white...What do you think? Sorry the pics aren't the best...but she almost looks like she has some blue in her. I love her coloring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    She kind of looks like one of mine that turned out to be a splash.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That chick is a white.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Chick will turn white. It has the silver gene. May look neary blue at this point.

5. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Tonya, how many silkies did you end up with? Did I send you splash? I can't remember now. Wow, I am getting old with this remembering thing.

6. tazcat70

I was kinda hoping that she was one of those buff splashes you are working on. She is such a cutie!

You had sent me 2 BL/SP but they didn't pip. [​IMG]

I am not sure that age has anything to do with remembering....I think it happens when you have kids....[​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had 6 that were a buff color when they was born. When they grew in their feathering they turned white.

8. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but quick question. I had one that was silvery like that when it was born and it's not feathering out to be white (on the right in the pic). The one that was yellow is getting white feathers. Why is it different than what you're saying here?

[​IMG]

9. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Kelly there is a difference in the Silver gene and splash. The splash comes from Blue chickens and will be blue and white. The silver gene gives a blue tint to the down but when they start feathering in they feather in completely white and their feathers don't get the yellow look that some whites do as they age or get in the sun.

10. tazcat70

Quote:ohhh good to know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by