Silkie Baby legs going outward,,,,help quick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Juliechickens, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hey all,,,I know this is common, I've seen it on here 100 times,,,I know it's called something too but my mind is blank now because I'm panicy! One of my baby silkie chicks (1 of 2) it's legs are going outward to the side. On day 2 it was doing this a little,,,day 3 a little more,,,now day 4-big time outward! Please tell me what can I do to help this? I remember reading on here something someone said about a rubber band but I don't know if that was good advice or bad so I have not done that. However if that's what I need to do, please tell me,,,or anything else you can recommend. Please advice quick! I don't want to lose one of my buff silkie babies! Thanks, Julie

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    do a search for splay leg.

using a band aid cut in half lengthwise to brace the legs together is one treatment.

You will need to brace the legs with some method to get them to pull back together. Also house the chick on rubber shelf liner or paper towels to help with traction.

If you do the search, there are posts with pics of how to apply the brace.

Good luck!

3. Juliechickens

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hey, I have a rubber shelf liner, great idea,,,,now about the bandaid. I understand to cut in half and about half way down legs wrap it but exactly HOW do I wrap it...I'm confused and can't seem to get a visual! Help! Julie

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Julie, here's a link w/ pics. http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Seperate the little one & maybe put some rolled up towels for support & some rocks or marbles in the water so the chic won't drown by accident.
    Good luck. [​IMG]
    the shelf liners are a great suggestion & I use them for my chics.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  5. Juliechickens

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Splayed leg,,,that's what it's called,,thank you! Well, I couldn't get the bandaid on by myself however, I did manage to get a piece of yarn tied around the legs. It is working nicely already. Bird is already standing oh so much better. He is NOT happy about it though and is trying his best to get this thing off. I read that this is normal for about 45 minutes and then the bird will adjust. I guess I will try the bandaid when hubby gets up. Thank you for your help,,,I looked the different pages about this problem and it's pretty common I guess. It's such a cute little silkie bird,,,I want to save it. Thank you for your help. Julie

6. Juliechickens

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Ohhhh wow! Wonderful pics! OKAY, that makes more since! I was trying to connect the bandaid together in the back and it just wasn't happening. I see now to wrap ends around each leg! Got it,,,going back to try again and remove yarn! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Julie

7. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    you're welcome, I've had a couple w/ spraddle leg before. Please let us know how it goes. [​IMG]

8. Juliechickens

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Bandaid on nicely! Working well! Chick hated it at first,,,,now adapting well. Oh one more thing...how long should I leave this on the chick?? Julie

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Leave it on until it comes off by itself. Then check to see how chick is doing. If not good yet, then put another brace on and repeat the process.

Can take several days.

10. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    If I remember right [​IMG] it took about three days. Do you have any Avia Charge? might be good to give the little one some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by