1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie baby...what color is this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelleyb1969, Aug 18, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Can someone tell me what color of silkie this is? And also, I'm guessing this guy? to be around 6 weeks? I named him Ozzy, so I hope it's a boy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Looks like a dark blue or black. It is still kind of young but I would say dark blue just going by the ones I hatch here. If it does not get much of a green/black sheen it is blue, if it gets a greenish black sheen, it is black. Hope that helps a little. I don't know about the sex from that angle and at that age, but it is a cutie.

Marie

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That's a blue.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Looks dark blue and such a cutie. I love that round stocky look. I bet that turns out to be a great typey little silkie

5. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    Ive got blue and blue splash...he looks blue to me.

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Thanks everyone! I was so hoping for blue! The guy I bought this one from said "Ozzy" is about 10 weeks old...but I don't think so. Isn't he much more "juvenile" looking than 10 weeks?[​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    10 weeks looks about right.

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Cute little guy!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Could we get a "head on" shot to see his comb? He is a cutie... looks like the blue that everyone ID'd for me, but much more aesthetically pleasing. Very pretty bird. [​IMG]

10. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    [​IMG] I have 2 that look just like yours! I wondered if mine were blue, but they were sold to me as black. I'm new to silkies myself so it's nice to know these things. How exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by