Silkie baby with a bad foot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zamix, Jul 1, 2011.

1. zamix

zamix New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I am new to chicken raising, and bought a couple of silkies from a wonderful breeder, she was very nice. She gave us another one for free and then even offered me one with weird feet. She obviously can't use it and I was glad to take another baby, but I am worried that I won't be able to correctly fix her feet. She said I just needed to put bandaids on the feet and then cut away the excess...... this doesn't seem to be working for me. I read somewhere that others have used medical tape and popsicle sticks. Any suggestions? I just want to do right by this (hopefully) little girl. I'm terrified I won't get it right and she will be gimpy because of my efforts.
    Any suggestions?
    THanks!
    Sherry

2. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Could you perhaps post a pic of the foot, just to get an idea?

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
  5. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Good luck! The boot remedy posted above worked great for me. One of my little Ameraucanas had curled toes on the right foot, and kept falling over. I used the bandaid boot when "Lefty" was just 3 days old. We took a triangle of carboard cut from an empty Triscuit box, put that under his/her foot, and put the sticky part of a bandaid over the top, adhering to Lefty's toes and the cardboard. As soon as we let the little chick go Lefty was zooming around the brooder just fine. Lefty kicked off the boot after just one day. We were going to replace it - but it had worked its magic. Lefty is kicking around just fine with the rest of the chicks. Here is a pic of Lefty after he/she kicked off his boot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. zamix

zamix New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I did the bandaid thing - it was what the breeder suggested, she seemed to move easier, but I think the addition of cardboard will help her be even steadier. I will try to post pictures later of her foot. I'm super new to this so I want to make sure I do it right. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by