Silkie baby with crossbeak.

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have a silkie chick with crossbeak. It is getting pretty serious now. She is about 1 1/2 month old now, and the smallest out of her siblings. When I first got her and realized she had crossbeak it was very minor. Now it is pretty bad. She can eat and drink... but I'm just wondering if it is something she can live with? I mean, I don't know how bad it is going to get!

What have you guys done with crossbeaks?
Thanks!

We had a crossbeak polish that we gave an extra deep dish with 2 raised sides (cardboard milk carton). She would scoop the food out with her cross beak, the raised sides were so she wouldn't waste as much food. Once a day we'd have to clean her beak off, she'd have food stuck all over it. We also tried the sea salts and penetran for 6 weeks with no luck, but it didn't get any worse.

I have a cross-silkie with the same problem! That's weird...I wonder if it has got to do with the mix... In any case, I did everything I could, and beak wouldn't go back in place. She/he eats fine and drinks fine, though. I keep an eye on her to be sure...

I had a cross beack silkie that was always smaller than everyone else. We named him Crosby. He died at about 6 months. He never got as big as the others. He always seemed to eat fine and drink fine. Not sure why he eventually died. He was great while he was here. I guess because he needed a special feeder and water bowl, he would always come running to my feet when ever I entered. I know some will say you should cull the cross beak. I definately don't think you want offspring from a cross beak. However, I could not bring myself to get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom