1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Silkie bantam age and gender??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ibabz2, May 27, 2018.

1. Ibabz2

Ibabz2 In the Brooder

May 14, 2018
    Hello! I recently got Fufu straight run from a local hatchery. His/her age wasn't known and thus I'm trying to figure out approximate age and if Fufu is a hen or roo. I've had her for 3 weeks now and she is significantly smaller than my other chicks and slightly smaller than my black cochin bantam. It this normal? Because of her size she seems to get bullied from time to time by the other chicks who are about 5 - 7 weeks old. Attached 3 photos from today and 3 from when I got her 3 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. KKVDK

KKVDK Chirping

Feb 24, 2018
    He/she looks to be around 5 or 6 weeks of age. And is MUCH to young as silkies bantams are one of the hardest breeds to sex. I can usually tell the sex by 3-4 months and I'm very experienced in this breed sexing
    ~Kaylie~

3. Ibabz2

Ibabz2 In the Brooder

May 14, 2018
    Thanks Kaylie! The hatchery said she was 5 weeks when I got her 3 weeks ago but I didn't think so. She was the smallest though of the 20; lot of her siblings were bigger than she even is now. Will just continue to watch until she's older!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: