Silkie Bantam Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EyesOnSunday, Apr 11, 2012.

1. EyesOnSunday

EyesOnSunday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Newton, NH
    Hello! I am new to BYC (this is my first post).

I am going to build a coop in anticipation of getting Silkies and I need some advice. I have been doing SO much research and have come back with quite varying opinions on what type of coop is best for them. How many square feet per Silkie? Do they NEED nest boxes or are they going to pig pile on the floor? Any advise on layout and size requirement would be MUCH appreciated!

Also... Maybe I shouldn't combine two questions but....
    I am considering getting day olds from my local supply store. Any opinions? I am not planning on SHOWING them, but I would like quality chicks. Has anyone had good or bad experience getting chicks from a store like this?

Thanks in advance!

2. EyesOnSunday

Apr 11, 2012
    Newton, NH
    By the way, I am planning on staring with six but want to build a large enough coop to potentially have twelve in the future.

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    A silkie needs 2 or 3 sq. feet each. Most silkies lay eggs in nesting boxes, so I think you should include them. 4 or 5 hens will use one nesting box, so you don't need that many. Buying chicks from your local store is fine. And [​IMG]
    P.S. I think a 4x6 or 6x6 should do for you.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. EyesOnSunday

Apr 11, 2012
    Newton, NH
    Thank you so much for your reply! I am probably going to make it slightly bigger because I just got my chicks yesterday and can already tell I will be getting more in the future...

They are so amazing. This is ridiculous. I am going to get NOTHING done. haha

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Ha! Yeah, chickens are addicting!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by