Silkie Bantam egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkies4penny, Dec 14, 2011.

1. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    hello, I am getting ready to go into lockdown for my first attempt at hatching eggs. I have done a tone of research, and I cant remember where I saw this but I read that bantam eggs hatch a little faster?! do they generally go 21 days like all other eggs or do they hatch at 20 days? Im just trying to figure out what day to go into lockdown.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I just hatched some bantam cochins and bantam polish. They pipped on day 19, and they were all done hatching by day 21. I think the timing is the same as for the large fowl.

Sharon

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mine will usually hatch on day 20. Once in a while i'll get some that hatch on day 19.

4. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    I bought eggs from Cj's and she told me to take out of the turner on day 17, because they some times like to hatch early

5. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    All my bantam breeds started piping by day 19 and mostly all done by day 20, the larger breeds i found piped on day 20 and hatched by day 21.
    I still go in to lockdown at the end of day 18 no matter what breeds i am hatching and up till now it's been ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by