Silkie Bantam gender - can anyone confirm what I suspect?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop Deville, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    This is my first time raising a silkie. I bought this one about two months ago (I think) as a day-old from a silkie straight run bin at my feed store. Thoughts on gender? I have my suspicions...

[​IMG]

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Could i see a close up picture of the comb?

3. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    This is the best I have right now. I should have thought to take a closer one! If this doesn't help, I'll put up a closer shot tomorrow.

[​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    A close up is needed :) Also, try to get a full body shot of it standing on its own (without anyone holding it).
    Nikki

5. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Here's the best I can do (and sorry about the poo) (hey, that rhymed):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think it looks like a pullet, not much comb or wattles on that bird :)
    Nikki

7. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    I hasten to add that he/she is only about 2 months old (I bought him/her during a busy season at work and didn't note on my calendar the exact day).

Someone told me that there are "flair" feathers emerging from the back of the head and that there might be saddle feathers - both indicating a possible roo. Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your help.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, I read that you said she ( :D ) was about 2 months old. She appears to be hatchery quality (not a bad thing) and theyre much easier to sex than breeder quality. You can't really sex a Silkie by hackles and saddles, IMO, bc of the shredded feathers. She'll also end up with bigger comb and wattles bc she is non-bearded. That's a bearded breeder quality hen in my avatar pic for comparison. Keep an eye on it, but I still think its a girl :)
    Nikki

9. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Excellent news! I will keep watching to be sure. Yes, she from Ideal hatchery.

I'm guessing you are a silkie enthusiast? My only other "ornamental" bird is a Polish, and I had to go through two roos before I got a hen.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I absolutely ADORE my Silkies. So much so that the only other breed I have is 1 little frizzled Cochin hen. So yes, I guess you could say I'm a Silkie enthusiast ;)
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by