silkie bantam just hatched and can't walk (pic posted)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nittanyxi, May 14, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I just hatched a black silkie bantam earlier today. (day 21). it is so fat that it can't really walk. very cute but just lays there. is that normal. will it thin out after it uses up it's yolk or is this a sign there is a problem?

Edit:5/15

Here is a pic of it on its back. does it look like there is anything wrong with its legs?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i posted about a similar situation in the emergencies/injuries/diseases forum. i posted pics of mine. s/he is also VERY chubby. i will watch this thread to see if you get an answer..i have not, yet.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I am no expert, but will try to help anyway. First off, newborn chicks don't walk well at all. It's more of a drunken stagger with an occasional hop, flip or crazy circle. And sometimes, all of those at one time... If it is spraddle leg, it will have it's legs out to the side of itself. Or, when it tries to walk, it's legs just go out like they are doing the splits. Then you would apply the bandaid like haTHOR did in their thread. If it just hatched today, I would give it until tomorrow and see if it gets the hang of walking before I worried to much.

4. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I just added the pic in my first post via edit. does it look like there is a problem with the chicks feet or legs? hatched yesterday and there has been no change in it ability to walk. Just sits there wallowing.

5. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    so, i waited until morning to see any improvement, and because i was concerned about the other chicks pecking at it without me watching over them. still no better here, though the belly has gone done a bit.

will do the splint and so if my guy improves. let us know what happens! your silkie's legs look just like mine's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by