Silkie bantam or small?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultry bro, Feb 25, 2015.

1. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Hey everybody I have an interesting question I bought a book awhile back and was bored enough to read the whole thing it was called The chicken encyclopedia and I saw all the breeds in the back they told the breed use egg color etc... but they also said whether the breed in bantam standard or both but when I came to the silkie they said "small" so I looked at every breed and no more said small so I looked it up in the same book and it said that in the US we are trying to breed a bigger silkie therefore they call the silkie a small but my silkie cock is about the size of a leghorn hen which I consider small anyway just a question of interest.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Silkies are bantams, Bantams are small ^^

3. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    That depends entirely on where you are. In the UK, they primarily breed large fowl Silkies. In the US we class them as bantams although they are larger than most true bantams, which is likely why they were just labeled "small".

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Thanks for the info I have read that before but I thought it was odd since the Chinese bred them as bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by