Silkie Bantam... roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pinx, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Pinx

Pinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    So my silkie is a couple of months old, can't find my calendar to remember for sure... If I had to guess I would say 4-5 months old. My silkie I "think" is a hen.. but I have no clue.. My other roo who is the same age has been crowing for 3-4 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep out of my silkie... and no one is laying... so I have no clue. Just curious what everyone else thought. I had read somewhere that if their top hat was swept backwards its most likely a roo.. so now I'm beginning to question my thoughts that it is a hen...

I'll add a few pics of the silkie and a pic of my Cochin Bantam roo who is the same age, so you can see about how old they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if this one will help or not...
    [​IMG]

My Barred Cochin Bantam Roo (same age)
    [​IMG]

So what do ya think?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    That comb means roo, 100000000% sorry [​IMG]

3. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Awww... man! lol

4. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Ok another question... why isn't he even attempting to crow? To lazy and would rather the other roo do all the work? lol

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:silkies are late bloomers. Mine is more than six months old, and not a crow out of him!

6. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Well... I guess that explains "her" behavior problems lol... I was SO hoping he was a she, I kept waiting for a crow... and hoping that since there was not even a poor attempt.. that maybe I was lucky lol. I also noticed that my barred roo would grab my barred hen by the back of the neck (still hasn't figured out though) and never my silkie... Well this puts a kink in my plans lol. I guess its alright though, I've got about 10 silkie chicks so I'll surely get a hen or two out them... [​IMG] or more.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I agree. Swept back crest + that comb and wattles= roo at that age. [​IMG]

8. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i say roo, i know how it feels, i've got one that's growing that black comb now too! [​IMG] mine's so sweet though, 'mothers' all the other younger chicks, i'm still holding out that there's maybe a 1% chance mine's a hen... [​IMG] but i'd have to say that one looks like my white one did at that age and HE is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by