Silkie bantams!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cranberrycreekchickens, Mar 4, 2008.

1. cranberrycreekchickens

cranberrycreekchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Does anyone have experience with the silkie bantam? I really find them interesting and want to know more about them!

I also wanted to know whether they are cold tolerant?

Thanks!

Roman.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Lots of people on here have silkies. I find they are pretty hardy and do fine sleeping outside like the crazies they are in the winter when it reaches about freezing here. If you do a search on silkies, ignore the posts saying they are evil. That is a running joke with some on here. :p

Have fun!

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Silkie Serama Bantams are not supposed to be very cold tolerant below 40 degrees F, but mine have been just fine in a closed tin coop at 28 degrees F outside. Seramas are extremely heat tolerant being tropical birds. I don't know much about regular silkie bantams other than they are very cute and unusual looking chickens. A little cracked corn before roost time helps generate heat in chickens. When it will be below 40 degrees, I feed mine a handful of cracked corn at roost time. Hope this helped! Best wishes! [​IMG]

4. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I have two silkies that seem to shiver with the cold. THey haven't been outside much as we're still working on the larger coop for the bullies! But it doesn't get TOO too cold here.

I think it really depends on how they are raised. Mine have been inside my house most of their little lives so they're used to this rather than the cold. I suppose if they have been outside more during the cool months they'd be ok.
    If you get more than one, they will huddle together to share heat too [​IMG] They are so sweet and loveable animals and love to be held. Perfect for children [​IMG]

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I've got lots of silkies and have found that they are fairly cold tolerant. They tend not to roost at night, but rather sleep in a pile and they keep warm that way. As long as they're acclimated, I don't see the cold being too much of a problem, provided they are in a closed coop free of drafts. Unfortunally, it can be difficult to freerange them as they can't see past their crest and this makes them vulnerable to predators. But they're generally quite docile and can be great pets [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  6. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Like LilPeeps said, mine seem to do okay in the cold also. The big thing is, they do not do well at all if they get WET and Cold...! Mine are very friendly except for one white roo, and he is just real skidish, not mean. I use mine mostly to hatch out call duck eggs. They do not eat a lot and if handled ever so often they become very calm and friendly.

7. cranberrycreekchickens

cranberrycreekchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks everyone for your help! I am thinking of maybe getting some, although I doubt it will be this year!

Roman

8. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I used to have around 10...but I'm down to a pair of whites now. They have to tough it out with the others in winter and do just fine.

9. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    We started out with about 16 white silkies but we're down to 5 now. Mine have done fine in the winter and it does get pretty cold here but just make sure you have several because they like to pile up in a corner together to stay warm. Mine usually stay in the floor in the straw or in the lowest boxes we have...they arent good at flying so they wont roost in the higher boxes with all of our other chickens.

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Shoot... my little white silkie did just fine when it was around -30°F this January. Granted, NONE of the birds stayed outside much, and the coop was kept around 45°F to keep the water from freezing, and she did just fine. In another month or so, she's going to get a mate, and some sisters to keep her company... [​IMG] I love her. She's actually quite bossy to the larger hens, but she's not "mean". And I think Silkies are only evil because they're so dang cute, you just want to cuddle them all day and not do anything else! LOL! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by