Silkie Bantams?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PepsNick, Oct 6, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Got pics? Thanks.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    In the U.S. all silkies are bantams.

3. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Really? No LF?

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Like the above poster said, LF silkies aren't at all common in the US. All of the silkies I've seen locally were definitely bantam-sized. Since you asked for pics, here is my silkie roo Duke Buttersworth (aka Hop-a-long). I don't have any other silkies at the moment, but I'm planning on trying to get some silkie hens for him when I can find some. Right now he's living with my two EE and Delaware X hens.

[​IMG]

5. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Really? No banty Silkies??

That's strange. I live in the US, bought two silkies, and both appeared to be LF. I guess I got lucky?

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The APA only has a standard for bantam silkies with the approved weight for sex/age.

There are some birds who fall outside that range, but that means they do not meet the standard for silkies in the U.S.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We only have banty Silkies in the U.S. However there are LF ones in Europe and other areas of the world I think. Some strains carry larger/smaller ones than others.

8. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I think I might have large fowl!! But am in Scotland and I know you do get them here!

9. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You probably do if you think so, we have LF here in Canada as well. But I have seen more bantams because they're quite popular right about now.

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    hmm perhaps some of those LF might "fly across" the border. anyway here are some silkie pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by