Silkie barred rock cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by polishcourt, Oct 31, 2014.

1. polishcourt

polishcourt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Bigfoot Texas
    Let me start off by saying I am no expert or even novice of chicken breeding or genetics just have a mixed flock with hens that love to go broody and a love for raising chicks up to adulthood and getting those first laid eggs!!

I have a buff silkie his name is Hulk Hogan I have hatched out several cochin crosses from him that have turned out so beautiful i have a barred rock hen and I really really want a bird with silkie feathers that has the barring can anyone tell me if I can get there with the barred hen and buff rooster

Thanks

Courtney Hogue

2. polishcourt

polishcourt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    Bigfoot Texas
    [​IMG]

Had to brag a little with this pic of the barred rock and first set of chicks she raised before we got Hulk

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could get there, but it's going to take several generations. If you had a barred rooster and a silkie hen it would go faster.

Color first....Your buff rooster over your barred hen will give you sex linked chicks. Males will be barred, females won't. If you breed the offspring together, you'll get half barred chicks and half solid, regardless of gender. Then breed those barred females to the barred males and keep breeding barred birds together.

Silkie feathering.....it's recessive. Meaning, your first generation will all be regular feathered, but have the recessive gene for silkie. When you breed that first generation together, 25% of the birds will come out with silkie feathers, 50% will be regular but have the recessive silkie gene, and 25% will be regular with no recessive gene. You won't know which of the regular feathered birds have the recessive silkie gene until you then try breeding them.......it would be quite a project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by