silkie, barred rock mix.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Silkie-Feet, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    i have my barred rocks seprate from my silkies but, the silkie rooster made a way over into the other pen and breed some of my BR hens. so i took in all the BR eggs outside and put them in the incubator (4 eggs). at hatch date only two of those hatched, and one was a silkie barred rock mix! so, after that hatched i threw some more of her eggs (6) in the incubator with 16 other eggs. hoping for a good hatch [​IMG]
    BTW: i love the little chick, i will try to get piccs but i have a new camera and no idea how to upload photos.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With a barred mama and a non-barred daddy, any barred babies are sons. Probably will have small crests and lightly feathered feet. Likely to have 5 toes and yellow plus black skin. No silkie feathering. Breed back to a silkie and you will get larger crests, better foot feathering, reinforce the number of toes and maybe remove the yellow skin. And you will get some with silkie feathering. Barring from daddies will give the gene tp both sons and daughters. It will look more cuckoo than barred on silkied feathers.

3. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    this chick has dense feathering, 4 toes and idk what color the skin is but i will look.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had three hens sired by a Cochin/Silkie cross roo and a Barred Rock mama. They were gorgeous shiny black girls with poufy heads, light skin, slate legs and clean legs (well, except for Tux, who had exactly one feather stub on one foot). They had a brother who looked just like a BR with a poufy head.

5. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    As promised, pictures of feet and the chick. it also has yellow skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by