Silkie Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by draebear, May 17, 2011.

1. draebear

draebear New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    I got 5, 8 week old silkies about 6 weeks ago and I love them. This is my second experience with chickens, but first time with Silkies. They are great, but they won't let me pick them up. I was told by the woman who hatched them and cared for them until 6 weeks that they were handled a lot. They have been stand-off-ish from the beginning. I tried to hold them them as often as possible when they were new, but I have given up. They are very sweet and I love my special girls (and one boy), but I don't think this generation will ever be comfortable with being held. I am hoping for the next generation to be more social and comfortable around humans. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. goatranch

goatranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    I love my silkies, but they are kinda wild until they become adults. I have taken mine places where people think I have them trained. If you still have trouble, give them treats when you pick them up. Mine don't fly or run away.

3. draebear

draebear New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks for the input, I feel better. These chicks don't like the same treats as my last brood. What have you found that they like the best?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by